Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Madonna at the Etiquette Dinner: You only have one first impression.

Posted by | |

Once a year, BYU puts on a fancy dinner called, “The Etiquette Dinner: You only have one first impression.” I considered going, although I know how to wine and dine, but I wouldn’t mind a four course dinner. I considered going until my friend who worked at catering told me that the dinner lasts four hours. That is a marathon of etiquette, and I was certain that I would embarrass myself by the end of the dinner, so I decided not to go.

My professor saw me working in the lab and asked me if I was going to the etiquette dinner, assuring me that it would be fun and that the food is good. Is it four hours long? Yes. My etiquette attention doesn’t last that long. He was confused about that statement, and asked me to give him and example. So I asked him to get me a cloth napkin and I would show him.

We went to his office and he pulled out a bandana, and I started my example. I folded the napkin this way, and that way while talking about Madonna. When I finished folding, I grabbed the ends of the napkin and said, “… And I disguised myself as Madonna!” Right when I finished my statement, I pulled the corners of the napkin to my chest, and in all of its glory, the napkin formed into a pointy bra.

I was sure that my professor would be rendered speechless, and he was… but he was speechless because he could not stop laughing. After a snort and a snigger, he stopped and told me, “I will pay for your ticket if you sit with me at the life science faculty table. Please. I need the other professors to see this.” I politely declined, but he still gave me a ticket to attend. “If you decide to go, tell them that you have been asked to sit at the Life Science Professors’ table.” I still think I’ll pass.