Friday, January 7, 2011

Neon Pink Shoes/ An Intro of Sorts

Posted by | |

My shoes cause senseless ruckuses across campus. I will saunter away to class or the library, and at least 35% of the people who pass by me will take a glancing peak at my shoes. Another 10% will actually whisper to their walking buddies and laugh about my shoes, and a good 5% will either laugh or tell me I look like an idiot. And besides all the brouhaha, I refuse to get rid of my shoes.

From that statement, one might think that I am either wearing some gaudy high heels or maybe clown shoes; but no, I wear a pair of shoes I bought at Wal-Mart. Now when I bought them, they were white… and today they are neon pink. But they’ve been pink for months, and I have gotten poor reviews since. I find the shoes to be very symbolic of whom I am as a person, and the may serve as a cautionary notice to anybody who comes in contact. I am not your average BYU student. I am not conservative, I do not want to get married and have loads of children, and I do not believe that the Mormon ideal of life is the life I want for myself.

So on the first day of class, I had my entire Parasitology class glaring at my shoes. It makes me laugh that people think they are so discreet and that I have no idea that they are staring. Sometimes, I find it fun to clear my throat and announce to the class that it is impolite to stare. If somebody has sat down next to me and has failed to see my shoes, they get up and move as soon as they catch a glance. It’s better that they move because of my shoes than for them to move because I complain when religion gets mixed into our science courses [I hate when my science courses feel the need to mix in religion. If I wanted to sit in a class and hear about how Jesus wins and evolution is only a theory, I would go to church].

So as I walk across campus, I revel in the gawking stares of the passerby. Because if somebody can’t fathom how I can wear neon colored shoes, then they can’t fathom how I don’t live like every other BYU students, and they definitely can’t fathom how much better life is when you don’t fit in with the crowd.